On the way home from a concert last week, I saw something hanging from a power line in front of the apartment building across from my house. It was a strand of something, glittering as it blew in the wind. I could also hear an electrical buzzing. I showed it to my mother, and she suggested it may have been the magnetic tape from a VHS. There was an intermittent blue-white spark where it touched the power line, accompanied by the buzzing noises (similar to the sound a bug zapper makes).
We weren't entirely sure what to do about it. Do you call the police? Or the Electricians Guild? About five or ten minutes after we went inside, there was a cacophonous BUZZ, the outside flashed blue-white, and we were plunged into darkness. It was quite startling. The entire street was pitch black.
The power came back a couple minutes later.