Boo

Go Go Jason Waterfalls!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Children

I went to La-Z-Boy today to help Mom pick out a couch. The man who helped us mentioned the quality of the furniture and how I might be impressed enough to choose their store when I have a family of my own. I get this a lot: people assuming I will one day have children. Historically, it was expected of one to produce offspring, for a number of reasons which I don't care to discuss presently. These days, however, more and more couples are making the decision to not start a family. The aforementioned assumption is becoming outdated.

Personally, I will never have children. They can be quite cute sometimes, but they're more trouble than they are worth. As infants, there's the crying (one of the most horrid sounds on earth), the smells, the mess, and the lack of sleep (for the parents). As they grow older, they have the potential to go wrong, despite perfectly nurturing parents. My mother taught us well, and yet my sister still managed to get into drugs and alcohol and have a baby at 17.

Call me greedy, but I feel that a child would take away some of the love my partner and I have for each other. I want to be devoted to one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment